Position Description – Senior Associate
Role Description Summary
The role requires a person who is self-motivated, resilient and eager to learn. The person has a calm demeanour under pressure and enjoys working on complex projects in leadership capacity with high performing teams. The person will be eager to drive their careers, has developed a subject matter expertise and has an active interest in the management and growth of the business.
Professional Training and Qualifications
Is degree qualified and/or has training and experience in accounting, finance, commerce, transport planning, law, engineering, arts, architecture, business, construction management, project management or similar fields related to the operations of the business.
Experience and Sector Exposure
The person will usually have a minimum of 10-15 years’ experience managing complex projects in their own right. Will have had an exposure to one or more of the core business sectors the company operates in and can work autonomously to plan and manage their workload. The person will have co-ordinated teams with diverse skills sets and will have worked with, or in, Government, a private sector asset owner and/or as a consultant advising clients on projects. The role requires an effective communicator and the desire to learn new skills and acquire expertise to operate across multiple sectors. The person has specialist skills and training that is sought after by clients funding, developing or delivering major capital works, social infrastructure or economic/transport infrastructure. The person will possess core capabilities to manage and provide specific advice usually in at least two sectors including mega infrastructure projects, property, arts, justice, education, sports and entertainment, health, rail transport, urban regeneration.
The person is recognised by the industry as a leader and a highly effective deliverer of large, complex projects. The person is sought after for their expertise by internal teams and clients with major undertakings. Has led large teams and has excellent management skills.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Is accountable for:
- leading major projects of significance;
- providing advice to clients on large complex assignments;
- is a technical specialist developing and delivering complex infrastructure;
- providing subject matter expertise to deliver a high standard of service;
- identifying and progressing leads to support business development functions;
- communicating effectively with peers, the executive and clients; and
- collaborating with staff, suppliers and the executive to deliver high quality services.
Is responsible for:
- exercising the right level of judgement to seek support from and providing direction to staff;
- developing client relationships;
- contributing to a positive company culture; and
- complying with Company policies, procedures and integrated management system requirements (ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 45001 Safety & 14001 Environment).
Lives the core values and contributes to a positive culture.
- Leadership: exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback and provides appropriate recognition to others. Leads by example and sets the highest standard of ethical and professional conduct. Is a leader in the core business areas of project management, project development and/or advisory and has particular technical expertise (eg Transport, and actively works to maintain a position as a leader in this field). Establishes a high benchmark within the company as a person that adopts corporate values.
- Management: Is fair and inclusive. Engenders respect from peers and direct reports. Is organised and communicates information in a precise, accurate and diligent manner (written and verbal). Is not collegiate or adversarial. Has highly development time management skills and is calm under pressure. Is valued for sound judgement and considers arguments objectively and on merits. Provides a balanced view and opinion and contributes to sound corporate decision making.
- Customer Service: responds promptly to customer requirements; manages difficult or emotional customer situations; solicits feedback and assesses performance against customer requirements and expectations; listens and understands customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments and builds relationships with clients.
- Interpersonal Skills: focuses on solving conflict not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas new ways of doing things. Treats others with respect and is ethical and honest in all dealings. Is able to stimulate ideas and enthusiasm with staff and clients and is an engaging speaker.
- Oral Communications: speaks well, clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listens and gets clarifications; is capable of facilitating large workshops and working groups with people with mixed skills, expertise and conflicting objectives; demonstrates group presentation skills and public speaking skills; contributes to meeting and chairs meetings effectively. Is balanced in approach.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves issues in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skilfully and efficiently; develops alternatives; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason when dealing with emotive issues/topics.
- Managing people: Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for sub-ordinate activities; is available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; encourages staff development and growth; promotes staff skills development; solicits and applies customer feedback; fosters quality focus in others; continually seeks to improve products and services; motivates professionals and specialist technical experts teams to achieve positive project outcomes.
- Business Acumen: Understand business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions. Negotiates contracts on behalf of clients and the company and provides strategic advice in relation to business growth and development.
- Written Communication: writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies written style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; reads and interprets technical reports and advice succinctly and communicates key issues effectively.
- Teamwork: puts the team’s success ahead of self-interest; exhibits objectiveness and openness to other’s views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Creates a strong team culture without creating divisiveness.
- Strategic Thinking: develops strategies to achieve organisation goals; understands external threats influences, identifies opportunities and analyses market conditions; understands organisations strengths and weaknesses.