National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) International
The NGV International Project involved a $150 million complete refurbishment of the existing Heritage Victoria registered building on St Kilda Road.
The redevelopment incorporated:
- the re-introduction of the building’s iconic water wall (complete with an environmentally-friendly ground tank system)
- stain glass ceiling
- a new glass roof over the central courtyard overlooked by a mezzanine restaurant
- six additional galleries inside the Coles and Murdoch courtyards
- upgraded catering and retail facilities, and
- improved lighting and environmental controls.
Ontoit’s Martin Coates (while working at Major Projects Victoria) was the project manager and superintendent on the $150 million redevelopment of the National Gallery of Victoria and was responsible for the delivery of the project and administering the novated design and construct contract.
This included developing and implementing the project procurement strategy, managing tenders, and project management and administration of the contract.
Martin ensured the project was delivered on time and on budget while meeting the strict quality and performance criteria.