Position Description – Associate – Infrastructure Advisory
Position Description – Associate – Infrastructure Advisory
Role Description Summary
The individual would provide strategic, commercial and financial advice within the context of an infrastructure project or development lifecycle. This includes but is not limited to: (i) development of feasibility/business cases/masterplans; (ii) identifying relevant developing procurement models and tender processes; (iii) commercial and financial structuring and analysis; (iv) running tender processes and (v) supporting with contract management and operational strategies post contractual close.
The role requires a person who is self-motivated, resilient and eager to learn. The person will be calm under pressure and enjoy working on complex pathfinder infrastructure projects within high performing teams and lead activities with minimal supervision. The person will be eager to drive their careers under mentorship and has an active interest in the management and growth of the business.
Professional Training and Qualifications
Is degree qualified in accounting, finance, or commerce, economics, law, engineering or as relevant. Relevant post graduate qualifications such as CFA, CA, CPA would also be advantageous.
Experience and Sector Exposure
The person will usually have a minimum of 6-9 years’ experience in the provision of infrastructure or development/asset related services. The person will typically also have experience in and an understanding of one or more typical delivery models such as Public Private Partnerships, Design & Construct or Alliancing. This experience would be complemented by familiarity with local and national guidelines.
The role requires an effective communicator and the desire to learn new skills and acquire expertise to operate across multiple sectors. The person will have co-ordinated teams with diverse skills sets and will have worked with, or in, Government, a private sector asset owner and/or as a consultant advising clients, on the development or delivery of major capital works, social infrastructure or economic/transport infrastructure.
The person will possess core commercial acumen and/or financial literacy capabilities to manage and provide advice usually in at least two sectors including mega infrastructure projects, property, arts, justice, education, sports and entertainment, health, rail transport, urban regeneration. Financial modelling capabilities would be advantageous but are not necessary.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Is accountable for:
- managing projects or related workstreams, reporting accurately on projects.
- providing advice to clients on related procurement, commercial or financial aspects.
- the quality of work, deliverables produced to a high standard, recognised by peers and clients.
- communicating effectively with peers, the executive and clients; and
- collaborate with staff, suppliers and the executive to deliver high quality services.
Is responsible for:
exercising the right level of judgement to seek support from and providing direction to staff.
developing client relationships and managing related/direct client stakeholders.
contributing to a positive company culture; and
complying with Company policies, procedures and integrated management system requirements (ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 45001 Safety & 14001 Environment).
Lives the core values and contributes to a positive culture.
- Managing People: On projects, contributes to planning and process improvement; fosters quality focus in others; continually seeks to improve project team performance and motivates professionals and specialist technical experts on project teams to achieve positive project outcomes. Addresses customer feedback and continually seeks to improve products and services.
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well and leads by example and sets the highest standard of ethical and professional conduct. Aspires to develop leadership skills and works to attain a position as a leader on projects.
- Teamwork: Puts the team’s success ahead of self-interest; exhibits objectiveness and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit and able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Contributes to a strong team culture without creating divisiveness.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves issues in a timely manner; is comfortable in knowing when to seek and apply advice from other staff and management; gathers and analyses information skilfully and efficiently; develops alternatives; works well in group problem solving situations and uses reason when dealing with emotive issues/topics.
- Customer Service: Responds promptly to customer requirements; listens and understands customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments and builds relationships with clients and exercises sound judgement when dealing with clients.
- Business Acumen: Seeks to understand business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities and adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies written style to meet audience needs; presents numerical data effectively; reads and interprets technical reports and advice succinctly and communicates key issues effectively.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control and remains open to others’ ideas and new ways of doing things. Treats others with respect and is ethical and honest in all dealings; openly shares knowledge and learning for the benefit of other staff and in developing personally.
- Oral Communications: Speaks well, clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listens and gets clarifications; is capable of assisting in large workshops and working groups with people with mixed skills, expertise and conflicting objectives; demonstrates group presentation skills and public speaking skills; contributes to meetings and chairs meetings effectively. Is balanced in approach.
- Strategic Thinking: Helps develop strategies to achieve project and organisation goals. Thinks outside the square and questions the status quo.